Howard History

Post office dedicated in Ellicott City

December 02, 2007

As reported Dec. 7, 1940, in The Evening Sun:

Ellicott City's new $101,000 granite post office was dedicated today with ceremonies held on a platform erected on the steps of the structure on Main street.

Present were Smith W. Purdum, second assistant Postmaster General, and other high post office officials from Washington. Judge William H. Forsythe Jr., of the Fifth Judicial Circuit presided, and Representative Lansdale G. Sasser spoke briefly.

The invocation was delivered by the Rev. Carl Mumford, pastor of the First Lutheran Church at Ellicott City, and the Rev. Michael A. Ryan, pastor of St. Paul's Church, pronounced the benediction.

The building, in the Greek Revival style, was begun last March and was erected by the Federal Works Agency. The building alone cost $53,750, the additional outlay having been made for ground.

Members of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Howard County Fire Department served luncheon in the fire house prior to the ceremonies.

[Paul McCardell, Sun researcher]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.