Joppatowne stumbles in second quarter

Allegany 27 Joppatowne 21

State semifinals Class 1A

December 01, 2007|By Mike Mathews | Mike Mathews,Special to The Sun

CUMBERLAND -- Travis Orange and Sean Collette scored two touchdowns and Jake Twigg ran for 115 yards to carry unbeaten Allegany past Joppatowne, 27-21, in their Class 1A state semifinal on a cold, windy night at Greenway Avenue Stadium.

The win puts the Campers (13-0) into next week's title game against the winner of today's game between South Carroll and defending champ Dunbar.

Joppatowne (11-2) had an 11-game winning streak ended but might still be playing if not for two second-quarter plays that led to quick Allegany touchdowns.

With the score tied at 7, a fumbled option pitch by C.J. Townes was recovered by Allegany's Clayton Livengood at the Joppatowne 19. Three plays later, Collette scored on a 15-yard sweep that put the Campers on top for good at 14-7.

With Joppatowne pinned at its own 10 on fourth-and-13 on the next series, punter Matt Wood tried to avoid a big rush, but his kick went straight up and bounced out of bounds at the 7, for a kick of minus-3 yards.

Two plays later, Orange scored on a 7-yard keeper, and the Campers led 21-7 with 2:43 left in the half.

Joppatowne fumbled four times and lost two. Allegany had no turnovers.

"We put our defense in a bad way, putting them on a short field a couple of times," Joppatowne coach Bill Waibel said. "We saw Allegany's game last week with Fort Hill and there were five, six, seven fumbles ... and we couldn't buy a fumble from them tonight.

"And it was a bit uncharacteristic of us to put the ball on the ground the way we did. It's disappointing."

Kevin Harris returned the ensuing kickoff 45 yards to the Allegany 39, and Townes hit Kelvin Harris for a 5-yard touchdown in the final seconds of the half to get Joppatowne to 21-14.

An 80-yard drive to open the second half, capped by a 9-yard run by Collette, made it 27-14. Townes (19 carries, 115 yards) scored the only touchdown for Joppatowne in the second half, on a 4-yard run with just over five minutes left.

"The game was exactly how I thought it would be, except the scores were reversed," Waibel said. "My biggest concern was if we could stop them, because their offensive line was big and very good."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.