Man killed in shootout with officers identified

CRIME WATCH

November 17, 2007|By Gus G. Sentementes | Gus G. Sentementes,SUN REPORTER

Baltimore police identified yesterday the man who died in a shootout with officers Thursday night as a 21-year-old who was on parole after having served less than half his prison sentence for illegally possessing a handgun.

Ronald Herbert Jones, 21, was shot after police said he ran from a car that officers had stopped in the 600 block of N. Bouldin St. in Southeast Baltimore. Police said Jones hid under a van and, when found, fired several shots with a semiautomatic handgun.

Officer Krzysztof Gesla, an 11-year-veteran and a member of the SWAT team, was shot in the leg during the shootout. Other officers shot back and killed Jones, according to a department spokesman.

Gesla was in good condition yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, according to police spokesman Sterling Clifford.

Jones lived in the 900 block of N. Belnord Ave. Clifford said Jones had been sentenced in 2005 to three years in prison for the handgun conviction but was paroled after about 18 months.

Baltimore police have shot 31 people this year, killing 12, including Jones. Last year, city officers shot 15 people, killing five,.

gus.sentementes@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.