Man killed in shootout with police

Annapolis officers, one of whom was shot, were serving warrant at public housing complex

November 17, 2007|By Nicole Fuller | Nicole Fuller,SUN REPORTER

An Annapolis police officer was shot and an unidentified man was killed yesterday afternoon after he opened fire on authorities attempting to serve a warrant in one of the city's troubled public housing communities, police said.

The officer, whose name was not released, was shot at least once in the leg and was flown from the scene, in the Eastport area of the city, to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, said Officer Hal Dalton, a city police spokesman. The officer's injuries were not considered life-threatening.

The man accused in the shooting, whom police would not name, was inside an apartment at 1000 E. Madison St. in the Harbour House public housing complex, where a team of officers had arrived about 12:30 p.m. to serve a "high-risk" warrant on suspicion of drug-dealing. The man began shooting at police as they entered, and officers returned gunfire, Dalton said.

Police said they were not sure whether the warrant was to be served on the man who was killed.

The man was pronounced dead by paramedics from the Annapolis Fire Department. The paramedics were at the scene during the operation, conducted by officers from the Annapolis Special Emergency Team, which serves warrants.

Police said the shooting is under investigation, and further details were unavailable.

Mayor Ellen O. Moyer, who has been outspoken about the city's fight to stem crime, spoke to reporters at the scene of the shooting, an area neighbors describe as a drug-dealing hotspot. Three homicides have occurred in the complex during the past three years, including one in April.

"We have been working very hard in this city to rid it of illegal guns and drugs," she said. "This is one of the aggressive actions our officers took today, and we're going to continue on with this."

Victoria Prewett, who has lived since 1952 in her home on Jefferson Street, a few houses from the building where the shooting took place, said the area has long been troubled by drug-dealing.

"I was going to the bank, and I seen a whole lot of police cars drive up to the building," Prewett said. "I seen them running in the apartment with guns in their hands, and I heard a whole lot of shooting."

The last police-involved shooting in Annapolis happened in May 2006. That's when Roger Alan Trott, 34, was fatally shot by an Annapolis police officer after he wrestled away the gun of a state trooper who had pulled him over on a traffic stop for suspicion of drug dealing.

Officer Sean McGarvey, who fired the shot, received the Medal of Honor earlier this year for his actions.

Sun reporter Justin Fenton contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.