Pro soccer

Blast averts letdown, rolls over Sharks

Millwood, Watson lead win vs. new team

Blast 17 Sharks 6

November 04, 2007|By Carlos Alvarado | Carlos Alvarado,Special to the Sun

Orlando, Fla. -- Going into last night's game against the expansion Orlando Sharks, Blast coach Danny Kelly made sure his team would not have a letdown after starting the season 2-0.

"Detroit showed us last year that an expansion team is capable of making it to the finals. We were not going to take Orlando lightly," he said.

His team clearly got the message, routing the Sharks, 17-6, in a Major Indoor Soccer League game.

The Blast set the pace early with Jamaican native Machel Millwood giving Baltimore a 2-0 lead.

Eight minutes later, Matt Watson gave the Blast a 4-0 advantage with a goal from just inside the three-point arc.

In the second period, however, the Blast allowed the Sharks back into the game by allowing a pair of two-point goals. The Sharks were able to score on a power-play goal after a rough-play foul on defender Marko Bedenikovic.

Kelly was not satisfied with how his team finished the first half.

"I told our boys the way we played in that second period was not good enough. We decided right then and there that we were going to come out and battle in the second half," he said.

The Blast took his words to heart.

The defense responded with a strong effort, led by last week's MISL Defensive Player of the Week, P.J. Wakefield, and goalkeeper Sagu, who had 19 saves.

Two minutes into the second half, Millwood scored his team-leading fourth two-point goal of the season.

The Blast ended the third period with Colombian forward Carlos Garcia scoring his first two-point goal of the season, taking advantage of the team's third power-play opportunity of the night.

The Blast did not let up in the final period, as it extended its lead to 10-4 with Watson's second two-point goal of the game. As the game went into its final five minutes, the Sharks' offense became much more aggressive.

But the Blast repelled the Orlando attack and scored a pair of two-point goals and a three-point goal.

Orlando scored the final goal of the night with just under 20 seconds left.

Kelly was much more satisfied with his team's second-half performance.

"I am happy with how we came out in the second half," he said. "We played with much more desire. We need to put together a more consistent effort throughout the game as the season goes along."

The Blast's next game will be at home Saturday night, a rematch with Orlando at 7:35.

Orlando 0 4 0 2 - 6

Blast 4 0 4 9 - 17

First quarter 1. Blast, Millwood, 13:58; 2. Blast, Watson, 4:45. Second quarter 3. Orlando, Ruiz, 12:30; 4. Orlando, Rodrigues, 2:58. Third quarter 5. Blast, Millwood, 13:24; 6. Blast, Garcia, :31. Fourth quarter 7. Blast, Watson, 11:49; 8. Blast, Lookingland, 5:00; 9. Blast, Todd, 3:59; 10. Blast, Bedenikovic (3-pointer) 2:54; 11. Orlando, Sedgewick, :20.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.