Harford History

November 04, 2007

Black educators

A news clipping from the Nov. 2, 1888, Harford Democrat serves to bring to life a portion of the history of schools for African Americans in Harford County.

The newspaper that day stated:

"Colored Teachers Appointed. - As the result of the examination of colored teachers, held on the 4th and 5th inst., certificates and schools were awarded as follows: Abingdon, M.E. Draper; McComas Institute, Samuel A. Jones; Gunpowder Neck, Rachel Morris; Michaelsville, R.E. Sadler; Sidney Park, E.D. Thomas; Gravelly Hill, Alice S. Beason; Bel Air, E.D. Bassett; Asbury, W.T. Freeman; Clark's Chapel, A.E. Brown; Fairview, Annie Goodwin; Federal Hill, Mamie V. Hubert; Hosanna, A.L. Presbury; Colara, H.R. Nelson; Havre de Grace, Samantha Green and E.V. Frazier."

Many of these school buildings exist today. Some were converted to private dwellings or community buildings, some were abandoned in disrepair, and some were preserved as part of the county's heritage.[Sources: Harford Historical Bulletin;research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.