History

Permanent Minister Sought

October 21, 2007

On Oct. 20, 1761, Presbyterians of northern Harford County requested that a minister be sent to the area of Upper Node Forest near the head of Winters Run.

Although they were visited periodically by ministers from Lower Cross Roads, now known as Churchville, a permanent pastor was needed to lead the growing population that had been meeting there.

By 1769, Bethel Church had been established in a frame building that replaced an earlier log structure. The Rev. John Clark was installed as pastor for the congregation of 91 members, who pledged to support the church with annual donations.

[Source: Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright; research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.