Landmark Tulip Hill, built in 1756

Desirable Spaces

October 21, 2007|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,Sun Reporter

The grand architecture, the history and the location put Tulip Hill, the 18th-century Georgian manor, on the National Historic Landmark list.

Taking the name from its towering tulip poplars and its location on a rise in Harwood, Tulip Hill is considered one of the most distinguished early Georgian southern manor homes anywhere. Its five-part design makes for an impressive approach by land and water.

The main hallway's M-shaped archway that looks like twin shells and the front view of the brick home with a cherub above the front door are featured in home history books. Decorative touches are everywhere, from aubergine fireplace tiles depicting biblical events to paneling.

According to letters he wrote in the 1700s, George Washington, a business friend of the owner-builder, slept here on his way to the horse races in Annapolis. In the 1800s, rumors have it, Confederate soldiers hid there.

From the rear, one can gaze down terraced gardens, past a peony and crape myrtle-lined path and beyond the Anne Arundel County farmland to waters leading to the Chesapeake Bay.

"I wish we could keep it in the family," said William Chaney, a history lover and collector, lamenting that his adult children prefer more modern environs.

He and his wife, Patrice, hoped that one son would put down roots there when the Chaneys bought it in 2004. But when their son and his family moved out, the elder Chaneys moved in.

The famed home they left, Francis Scott Key's Terra Rubra in Carroll County, is also on the market.

So comfortable are the couple at Tulip Hill that they've made few changes. But they said it's time to move on.

About the house -- Tulip Hill is considered one of the most architecturally significant five-part Georgian homes in the country.

In 1756, wealthy shipping merchant Samuel Galloway built Tulip Hill's main house of two stories with an attic. An addition on each side followed. Galloway's role in an iron business is apparent in the home's iron fixtures.

The house has seven bedrooms; six full bathrooms, plus a half-bath in the basement; a family room; study; butler's pantry and more. A design quirk is that that the second floor of the main house cannot be reached directly from the upper story of the wings.

Original pegged timbers can be seen in the attic. The basement floors are cement and brick. The pier has a lift.

For more details, go to mary landhistoricaltrust.net and read about Property No. AA-138.

Address -- 4621 Muddy Creek Road, Harwood, 20776

Asking price -- $7.5 million

Taxes -- $9,752

Size -- The house has about 9,000 square feet. It sits on 93 acres. Outbuildings are a two-car garage, greenhouse, cottage and barn. The property cannot be subdivided.

Features -- High ceilings are punctuated by crown moldings in the living space, chair rails and paneling in some rooms as well. There are nine fireplaces, which originally were used for heating the house.

The kitchen has Corian countertops and white-painted wood and glass cabinets. Original plank floors were supplemented with hardwood floors in spots. There are four stairways, not including two to the basement and one that goes to a widow's walk on the attic. A room off the basement laundry room is used as a wine cellar.

There is a small graveyard where Samuel Galloway and his wife, Anne Chew Galloway, are among those buried.

Listing agents -- Julie Gay, 410-919-1843 (office) or 443-454-9565 (cell); and Mark McFadden, 202-333-6100 (office) or 703-216-1333 (cell), both Coldwell Banker

andrea.siegel@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.