History

1870: building better schools

October 14, 2007

In 1870, the Harford County Board of School Commissioners assigned itself the task of erecting better public school buildings. Many of the buildings at the time were deeded to the board for use as one-room schools, including one on Oct. 10, 1870, from the trustees of Little Falls Monthly Meeting in Fallston.

The number of buildings in use rose to 81 in 1870, costing the county $31,798 to operate. More than half of the funding came from the state.

Guidelines for building schools required that they range in size from 24 feet by 24 feet to 24 feet by 37 feet. The plans indicated the installation of a raised platform, desk and blackboard.

[Source: Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright; research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.