Harford History

1874: schools for blacks

October 07, 2007

Records from a meeting of the School Commissioners on Oct. 5, 1874, give a glimpse into the prevalent education matters of the day.

During the meeting, held at Ames United Methodist Church in Bel Air, commissioners heard reports on schools serving African-American students in Harford County, including a school at Hendon Hill on Vale Road above Grafton Shop Road.

Two schools built by the Freedmen's Bureau - McComas Institute on Singer Road and Hosanna School in Berkley - also were mentioned.

The Julius Rosenwald Fund was another national organization helping build schools for blacks from 1917-1932, contributing 15 percent toward school construction. Along with money from the black community and local taxes, the organization helped build six schools in Harford County.

[Source: Harford Historical Bulletin, Winter 1988; research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.