Digest

September 20, 2007

Man pleads guilty in drug case; murder trial set

A 29-year-old man who pleaded guilty this week in federal court to distributing drugs in Baltimore is scheduled to be tried on a murder charge in state court next month, according to public records.

Dwight Alonzo Hickman is charged with first-degree murder in the July 2006 death of Santini Stanfield, who was found shot in the head in the 1000 block of Booth St. The trial is to begin Oct. 4 in Baltimore Circuit Court.

On Tuesday, Hickman - whose nickname is "Monster" - pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Baltimore to distributing crack cocaine in Westport. He was arrested June 7 last year after police said that they searched his Sidney Avenue residence and found more than 58 grams of crack cocaine and drug paraphernalia.

Police said Hickman stored drugs at his home and sold them on the streets of Westport. Because of his previous felony convictions, he could receive a sentence of up to life in prison Jan. 2, according to the Maryland U.S. attorney's office.

Circuit Court records show that Hickman has been arrested at least a dozen times and convicted five times since 1999 on charges that include car theft, drug distribution, felony theft and assault with intent to murder.

The harshest sentence he received was five years in prison with three years suspended, court records show. In 2005, Hickman was sentenced to five years' probation for car theft.

Baltimore

: Stronger families

Dixon plans to adopt national platform

Mayor Sheila Dixon said yesterday that she will adopt a platform created by the National League of Cities to address strengthening families.

The four-page platform, which is short on specific, measurable goals, calls on cities to create a task force to study needs, to identify safe places for children to play and to sponsor street fairs, among other initiatives.

"I believe that we need to take steps now and continue to move forward by investing in our families, our children and our youth," Dixon said in a statement.

Anne Arundel

: Selby Bay

Blaze investigated at vacant clubhouse

Anne Arundel County fire officials are continuing to investigate the cause of a multiple-alarm fire Monday night that destroyed a vacant clubhouse at a community center near the Selby Bay Yacht Basin, a county Fire Department spokesman said. No injuries were reported.

The fire, reported at 7:18 p.m., destroyed the single-story condemned wooden building in the 300 block of Beach Drive Blvd., causing $165,000 in damage, said Lt. Shawn Jones, the spokesman.

Jones said the destruction made it difficult for investigators to isolate the origin of the fire and its cause.He asked that anyone with information call 410-222-8477. All callers will remain anonymous, Jones said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.