Harford History

Growth of a church

September 02, 2007

Tabernacle Church in northeastern Harford County began as a 24-foot- by-24-foot log building constructed on land donated by Theodore and Sarah McLaughlin on Sept. 1, 1856.

Roofed in local slate and heated by an iron stove, the building served as a stopping place for the circuit-riding minister of the Evangelical Church. Improvements such as interior plaster and exterior siding extended the original building's usefulness.

Despite a split among the congregation during the Civil War, the membership continued to grow. Additional land was donated by the McLaughlin family in 1892, and a new building was constructed at a cost of $2,350. Subsequent improvements included the installation of a bell, electricity and a well.

[Source: The River and the Ridge: 300 Years of Local History, by Roger B. Wilson; research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.