Wounded inmates are returned to facility

August 18, 2007|By Gus G. Sentementes | Gus G. Sentementes,Sun reporter

The seven inmates who were stabbed in a fight Thursday night at the Metropolitan Transition Center were treated and returned to the facility yesterday, segregated from the rest of the inmate population, a state prison spokeswoman said.

Maj. Priscilla Doggett said the prison's internal investigators are working to determine why the fight started shortly before 8 p.m.

Doggett said the inmates who fought in the prison's outdoor recreation yard were all housed in the same cellblock. After the fight, correctional officers searched their cells and found five home-made knives, but none was believed to have been used in the fight.

The fight involved 10 inmates and was the second brawl at the minimum-security facility in the past three months. In June, 18 inmates were hospitalized after a fight broke out between rival prison gangs.

Doggett said a lockdown was lifted yesterday, though inmates were being managed and moved in smaller groups at the facility in the 900 block of Forrest St. She said inmate participation in any outdoor activities - including work crews and recreation - had been restricted, though inmates were allowed personal visits, trips to court and parole hearing appointments. "Movement within the institution is being allowed but controlled," Doggett said.

Doggett said that correctional officers were able to get control of the fighting inmates quickly, and no officers were injured.

gus.sentementes@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.