August 09, 2007

I-95 work will mean lane closings, detours

Road work in the Interstate 95 corridor northeast of Baltimore will require overnight lane closings and detours next week as the Maryland Transportation Authority moves steel girders into place for the addition of toll lanes.

Next Monday through Thursday at 9 p.m., the right lane of southbound I-95 near the I-895 split will be closed. Another lane will be closed at 11 p.m., and a third lane will be closed at midnight, closing southbound I-95 and leaving open only the two lanes that lead to I-895 and the Harbor Tunnel. Motorists who want to return to I-95 and the Fort McHenry Tunnel will be able to do so by taking a detour at Moravia Road (Exit 14).

All lanes are scheduled to reopen by 5 a.m.

The closings are part of a project to add two express toll lanes to a 10-mile stretch of I-95 between Baltimore and White Marsh.

In another section of the work zone next week, police will conduct traffic-slowing operations in both directions on I-95 between Route 152 in Harford County and the Beltway on Monday and Tuesday between midnight and 5 a.m. Slowdowns will also occur on ramps leading to I-95 and Route 43. If rain delays the work, the slowdown could include Wednesday morning.

The officials are hoping to slow traffic for the safety of workers who will be removing steel beams as part of the replacement of the Cowentown Avenue bridge over I-95. The new bridge, lengthened to accommodate the toll lanes, will also add capacity for bicyclists and pedestrians.

Michael Dresser

Talbot County

: Easton

Shore man hit by pickup, killed

A pickup truck hit and killed an Eastern Shore man helping a stranded motorist, police said.

Cory L. Ball, 31, was loading a disabled sport utility vehicle onto another truck in Easton on Monday night when he was struck by a 2000 Chevrolet pickup driven by Felix Sanchez, 49, police said. Ball was taken to Memorial Hospital in Easton, where he was pronounced dead.

Ball, who lived in Caroline County, worked for Grant's Automotive in Easton and was an eight-year veteran with the Denton Volunteer Fire Company. He was named Fire Officer of the Year in 2006.

Associated Press

Frederick County

: Donation

Estate left to historical society

A Frederick native who traveled the world collecting art and antiques has left his estate, worth more than $1 million, to the Historical Society of Frederick County, the organization has revealed.

David Reed's gift is the largest bequest the organization has received, Executive Director Mark Hudson said Monday.

"For the first time in five or six years, we're debt-free," Hudson said.

Reed left Frederick as a young man and lived abroad for many years before returning to settle in Washington, where he died in June 2005 at age 75, Hudson said. Reed had no children and apparently never married, he said.

Hudson said he knew Reed planned to leave something to the society but that the size of the gift was a surprise. The society might use the money for a new research center, he said.

Associated Press

Montgomery Co.

: Gaithersburg

Man held after case was dropped

A Liberian man whose sexual abuse case was dismissed last month because of problems finding an interpreter for his native language is back in police custody on charges of failing to appear at a court hearing on prosecution efforts to reinstate the charges.

Police took Mahamu Kanneh of Gaithersburg into custody in Philadelphia on Monday night after he failed to appear at a Friday hearing. Prosecutors were hoping to impose conditions on his release while they appeal the July decision by a Montgomery Circuit Court judge to dismiss the charges.

Kanneh could be returned to the county as early as today.

In July, charges that Kanneh sexually abused two young girls were dismissed by a judge who concluded that his right to a speedy trial had been violated. The court had tried for several years to find a qualified interpreter who spoke Vai, a rare West African language.

associated press

Cecil County

: Port Deposit

Child neglect yields prison term

A Cecil County woman charged with leaving her daughter in a dirty home has been sentenced to a year in prison.

Beth A. Jackson, 36, was charged under the state's negligent parenting law.

According to court records, Jackson allowed her 6-year-old daughter to spend weekends with her estranged husband, Robert L. Jackson Jr., whose dirty home included dog feces and a faulty furnace that leaked carbon monoxide.

The Cecil Whig reported that Beth Jackson told police she knew about the conditions at the home but didn't stand up to her estranged husband. She pleaded guilty and was sentenced Friday.

Robert Jackson died in February of what investigators ruled was accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. The girl, who was in the home that day, was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The girl recovered and will be cared for by an aunt and uncle while Beth Jackson serves her term. Beth Jackson will regain custody of her daughter and undergo two years of supervised probation upon release.

Associated Press

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.