Start of new campus marked

Harford Christian School celebrates groundbreaking

June 17, 2007

Harford Christian School celebrated a groundbreaking for its new educational campus. About 800 people attended its cookout, which included cotton candy, snow cones, a "red, white and blue" cake and about 1,000 hamburgers.

The school band performed patriotic marches for the event, held June 8 at 1736 Whiteford Road, Darlington.

The event was the beginning of the site preparation phase of "Vision21 - A New Campus for A New Century." The project includes an educational complex with a performing arts center, classrooms, gym and full-service dining area.

Harford Christian was founded in 1966 by the Evangelical Methodist Church of Dublin. The school graduated its 1,000th student during commencement exercises last month.

Veteran faculty members Gloria Deas, Gladys Jones and Irene Reding were honorary groundbreakers, shoveling earth along with HCS Principal Bryan Wilson and EMC pastor John McKnight.

A Civil War musket rang, and a balloon release concluded the groundbreaking.

Guests at the event included members of the Harford County Council; Dels. Barry Glassman, Joseph Boteler and Susan McComas; Harford County Executive David R. Craig; and Maryland Environmental Service Director Jim Harkins.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.