Teen fatally shot, two men hurt

Gunman approaches `hack' cab and fires

victim in earlier city shooting dies

May 24, 2007|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,sun reporter

A teenage boy was fatally shot and two men were seriously wounded last night as they sat in a "hack" cab in Southwest Baltimore, city police said.

The driver, an unidentified woman, was not injured by the gunfire reported about 9:30 p.m. in the 2300 block of Frederick Ave.

They were all seated in the car, parked at a Citgo gas station, when at least one gunman approached and fired into the vehicle, hitting the youth in the head and the men each in the upper body, according to an early police account.

The driver and the wounded men fled across the street to a restaurant and reported the shooting. Ambulances took all three victims to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where the boy was pronounced dead, police said. One of the men was reported in critical condition, and the other in serious condition late last night.

The incident occurred after another multiple shooting late Tuesday along Mount Royal Avenue a few blocks from Baltimore's Pennsylvania Station that wounded four men -- one of whom died last night.

The four men were shot shortly before midnight near Guilford and East Mount Royal avenues. Two of them, one shot in the head and the other in the body, made their way to the 1500 block of Latrobe Alley near East Oliver St., where police found them.

The man shot in the head died shortly before 10 o'clock last night at Shock Trauma. The other, hit in the torso, was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where his condition was not available.

While police were investigating the shootings of those two men, an attendant at a nearby BP gas station at St. Paul Street and Mount Royal Avenue reported two others there who had been shot -- one in the groin and side, the other in the left leg. Victims of the same shooting, they also were taken to Shock Trauma.

During a night of violence Tuesday, a 6-year-old boy was wounded in the 1500 block of Pennsylvania Ave., where he had been walking with his mother about 8 p.m. when a man on a bicycle down the street and another man leaving a nearby apartment building pulled out handguns and began shooting at one another, police said.

Neither gunman was hit, but a bullet grazed the left heel of the boy, whose mother carried him into a nearby business, where an employee called 911.

The boy was reported in good condition at Johns Hopkins Children's Center's intensive care unit.

Also, police released the names yesterday of two men fatally shot hours apart Tuesday in separate and unrelated incidents:

Alexander Rose, 23, of the 2200 block of E. Oliver St., was gunned down in the 2300 block of E. Fayette St. about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and died at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Three hours later, in the Barclay neighborhood, Adrian Smith, 19, of the 300 block of E. 20th St., was shot in the 200 block of E. 21st St. and also died at Hopkins.

Another shooting occurred a few blocks away about noon yesterday, police said, when a man was shot multiple times in the upper body in the 700 block of E. North Ave., in the adjoining East Baltimore-Midway neighborhood. The victim, whose name was not released, was reported in critical condition at Shock Trauma.

No arrests had been made in the shootings.

The killings brought the city's death toll from homicides this year to 114, compared with 102 for the same period in 2006.

Metro Crime Stoppers at 410-276-8888 is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment in any of the killings.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.