Work mishap cuts natural gas service

May 22, 2007|By RICHARD IRWIN

Several homes and businesses in Northeastern Anne Arundel County were expected to be without natural gas service overnight after a subcontractor for Comcast ruptured a gas line while installing equipment yesterday morning near Sunset Elementary School, an Anne Arundel County Fire Department spokesman said.

The rupture in the 8500 block of Fort Smallwood Road did not result in a fire, explosion or injuries, said Lt. Frank Fennell, the spokesman.

The school was evacuated, traffic was halted, and more than 200 homes in the nearby Pine Grove Village lost gas service, which Fennell said would be restored house by house through the night or early today.

"Those residents were not evacuated but were kept informed of the situation," Fennell said.

"Each house in Pine Grove Village will be inspected individually before gas service is restored," he said.

The problem occurred about 11:30 a.m. when workers from Underground Connections of Knoxville, Tenn., were boring a hole and their equipment severed a 4-inch gas line connected to a 6-inch gas line, Fennell said.

He said children left Sunset Elementary through a rear door shortly after the incident because the wind at times was blowing gas toward the building.

School officials notified parents and school bus services by telephone, and the children were picked up at the back of the school without incident, he added.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.