Streetcars carry city's history

PICTURE THIS

May 21, 2007|By Photos by Lloyd Fox | Photos by Lloyd Fox,SUN PHOTOGRAPHER

About 10,000 visitors stop by the Baltimore Streetcar Museum each year to see a bit of the city's past. In addition to displays, the museum offers rides on original city streetcars.

The original museum building was a freight interchange station between truck traffic and trains. It was built in 1900 and closed 58 years later, reopening in 1966 as the museum. When the museum moved next-door, it became a heavy metal shop, where parts are made to restore trains. Old trains wait outside to be used for spare parts.

The museum, at 1901 Falls Road, is open from noon to 5 p.m. Sundays year-round. From June to October, it is also open from noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.