Apartment fire displaces nine families

May 21, 2007|By GREG GARLAND

Nine families at an Edgemere apartment complex were displaced after a fire about 6:45 p.m. Saturday that started when a halogen lamp tipped over, a Baltimore County Fire Department spokesman said yesterday.

The blaze was under control within about half an hour, but caused smoke damage throughout the three-story apartment building on Loring Court and heavy fire damage in the unit where it started, said spokesman Glenn Blackwell.

"One person was trapped on the second floor and was rescued," he said. "That person was treated for smoke inhalation."

The Red Cross was contacted to help arrange temporary lodging for displaced residents, he said.

Fire safety Web sites warn of the hazards posed by certain types of high-intensity halogen lamps.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.