Dulaney student remains in jail after school bomb scare

Judge rejects release pending senior's trial

May 15, 2007|By Laura Barnhardt | Laura Barnhardt,sun reporter

The Dulaney High School senior charged with bringing a potentially explosive cocktail of chlorine and rubbing alcohol to school was denied a request yesterday to be released from jail to await trial.

A District Court judge kept the bail set for Scott Michael Perry, 18, of Phoenix at $150,000.

Perry has worked part time at a paving company through a school program and had enlisted in the Marine Corps, planning to begin his military training after graduation, his attorney, John A. Austin, said during the bail review hearing in Towson. Austin asked that Perry be released on his own recognizance.

The defense lawyer argued that Perry was likely to appear for all court dates. Judge Barbara R. Jung agreed, but said, "It's not an issue of flight. ... It's a public safety issue."

Dulaney High School was evacuated for three hours, and a science teacher was sent to the hospital after picking up the plastic bottle of chemicals that he found in a second-floor boys' bathroom Friday, according to police.

The teacher, overcome by the fumes, was released from the hospital later Friday afternoon. Police said that Perry admitted placing the chemicals in the bathroom. Perry told investigators that he brought in the rubbing alcohol and chlorine tablets from his home, said Bill Toohey, a county police spokesman.

Perry was arrested and charged with three criminal counts late Friday, according to court records.

The most serious charge against Perry is knowingly using a destructive device, a felony that carries a potential 25-year prison sentence, according to prosecutor John Cox.

Perry is also charged with reckless endangerment, which carries a potential five-year prison sentence, and disrupting a school activity, which carries a potential six-month sentence, Cox said.

Perry's parents were in court yesterday, where a pretrial services case manager recommended that Perry be released on his own recognizance, saying he believed the teenager didn't realize how serious his actions were.

But Cox argued that bail should remain high for Perry, saying, "This is a bit more than just not thinking things through."

Perry, dressed in a faded black T-shirt and jeans, did not speak during the hearing.

Capt. Marcus Hinckley, executive officer for the Marine recruiting station in Baltimore, said the legal action would disqualify Perry from the delayed entry program. Once the legal issue is resolved, Perry could reapply, Hinckley said.

A preliminary hearing in the case had been set for June 8, but Perry, through his lawyer, waived his right to that proceeding.

Perry remained at the county detention center yesterday afternoon, according to jail officials.



Read our education blog at baltimoresun.com/classroom

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.