Anne Arundel County is home to more than 90 sites on the National Register of Historic Places, including farmhouses, Colonial mansions and lighthouses.
Some properties have been recognized for their architecture. Others have been included because of their connection to important people or events in local, state or American history. In downtown Annapolis and other sites, architecture and history are often interwoven.
"Every property has its own story to tell," said Peter Kurtze, National Register administrator at the Maryland Historical Trust, the state's Historic Preservation Office.
Most sites are privately owned and closed to the public. A few, such as the Maryland State House and Annapolis Historic District, are popular tourist destinations.
A listing does not mean the government will buy the property or prevent an owner from changing it, Kurtze said. The register recognizes a site's historic and cultural value, and owners can apply for special grants or loans to preserve their property.
The following are National Register sites, with historical information from the Maryland Historical Trust:
Abbington Farm, on Severn Chapel Road in Millersville, has a farmhouse and outbuildings built between the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Gaither, Ridout and Woodward families, who were active in the county's development, had ties to this farm.
Artifacts more than a millennium old were found at Aisquith Farm E Archaeological Site near the South River.
Noted for its role in county religious history, All Hallows Church, at Brick Church Road and Route 2 in Hardesty, was built about 1710. Parish records go back to 1682.
The Annapolis Historic District stretches from St. John's College to the State House, Spa Creek and part of West Street. It includes surrounding shops, homes and buildings that date from the 1600s to the 1930s. The Continental Congress ratified the treaty ending the Revolutionary War in the State House. Streets emanate from circles around two focal points, the State House and St. Anne's Episcopal Church. The district contains the homes of four signers of the Declaration of Independence: Samuel Chase, Charles Carroll of Carrollton, William Paca and Thomas Stone.
Annapolis National Cemetery, at Taylor Avenue and West Street, is a Civil War-era cemetery.
Anne Arundel County Free School, at Lavall Drive in Davidsonville, was built after the Maryland Free School Act of 1723 and operated until 1912. It is the only such school in Maryland to survive.
Artisan's House, on Pinkney Street in Annapolis, was built in the early 1700s and may have housed soldiers during the American Revolution.
Arundel Cove Archaeological Site, on a tributary of Curtis Creek, was a Native American storage pit and contained artifacts.
Baltimore Light Station, near Gibson Island, was completed in 1908, the largest wooden caisson in the nation at that time. It was nuclear-powered for a year during a 1964 Coast Guard experiment.
Baltimore-Washington Parkway, built from 1950 to 1954, is considered a scenic part of the National Capital Park and Parkway system developed a century ago.
Archaeologists at Beck Northeast Site, on Patuxent River Road in Davidsonville, found deposits that date from 4000 B.C. to A.D. 800.
Belvoir, on Algonquin Road in Crownsville, was constructed about 1736 by John Ross, great-grandfather of Francis Scott Key, and was once owned by Dr. Upton Scott, physician to the Colonial governor. The troops of General Rochambeau camped there en route to Yorktown.
Benson-Hammond House, on Aviation Boulevard in Linthicum Heights, is a 19th-century farmhouse in the Greek Revival architectural style.
Brice House, on East Street in Annapolis, was built before the Revolutionary War in the American Georgian style of architecture.
Bunker Hill, on Millersville Road in Millersville, was built in the 1800s in the style of a "Victorian Picturesque, A.J. Downing Cottage."
The oldest section of the farmhouse, Burrages End, on Bountys View Lane in Tracys Landing, was likely built in the late 1600s.
Captain Salem Avery House and Museum in Shady Side was built in 1860 as a waterman's house and later became a clubhouse. The Shady Side Rural Heritage Society runs the museum at 1418 E. West Shady Side Road.
The house at Cedar Park, on Cumberstone Road in Cumberstone, was built in 1702 for merchant Richard Galloway II. It became Miss Mercer's School for young women more than a century later.
The structures at Chance Boatyard, at 222 Severn Ave. in Eastport, were built between 1913 and 1942 for Chance Marine Construction Corp. and later firms. Annapolis Yacht Yard, one of the successor companies, built yachts and patrol boats and submarine chasers for the Navy during World War II. Later, Trumpy and Sons built luxury yachts there. It also built minesweepers and PT boats for the Navy during the Korean and Vietnam wars.
Chase-Lloyd House, on Maryland Avenue in Annapolis, is an early example of a three-story, Georgian brick townhouse built in Colonial times.