After fatal shooting, officers warned about gang retaliation

Incident is second police-involved death in 2 days, fifth this year

May 12, 2007|By Gus G. Sentementes | Gus G. Sentementes,Sun reporter

A plainclothes city police officer fatally shot a man who pointed a gun at him while running down a West Baltimore alley yesterday, authorities said, and within hours police were warning officers to watch for possible gang retaliation.

A police dispatcher cautioned officers over the radio about "possible retaliation from Bloods gang members in reference to a police-involved shooting on today's date."

The dead man was identified as Daquan "Gotti" Moore, 25, of the 2700 block of W. North Ave. Matt Jablow, a police spokesman, said detectives believe he was a member of a local Bloods set. The Bloods, a notorious gang that originated in California, has made inroads into Baltimore in recent years. Jablow refused to elaborate on the radio transmission regarding the alleged threats against officers.

On April 28, police officers in West Baltimore shot and killed a suspected Bloods gang member after he ran down an alley and pointed a gun at police, authorities said at the time.

Yesterday's police-involved shooting death, which occurred about 11 a.m., was the second in two days in the city. Early Thursday in South Baltimore, a man who had been thrown out of Club Mate and Lounge by security guards, went to his car and retrieved a handgun, police said. He was shot by one officer after he fought with another officer and pulled out a gun, police said.

Police have fatally shot four people in Baltimore this year, and a fifth person died after being hit by a Taser. Two people died in police-involved shootings during the same period last year. Police fatally shot five people in 2006.

Yesterday's shooting involved officers assigned to the Organized Crime Division, which focuses on drug and violent offender investigations. They were near Coppin State University when police said they saw men "acting suspiciously" near West North and Braddish avenues, outside a small market called the Family Store. Jablow, the police spokesman, would not elaborate on what the officer saw the men doing.

When the officers approached, the men "took off," and police followed one of the men into a nearby alley. "The suspect pointed a semiautomatic handgun at the officer, who fired his weapon," Jablow said.

Moore was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead shortly before noon.

Jablow said investigators believe the officer fired twice. Police recovered a handgun at the scene that had been carried by the man who was shot, Jablow said.

The spokesman said the shooting was under investigation and the officer was routinely placed on administrative duty.

Jablow said Moore had been arrested six times as an adult, including three times on drug offenses for which he was convicted. Police said one case stands out: a 2002 arrest on an attempted murder charge that ended with Moore pleading guilty to a reduced charge of first-degree assault. Details of the incident could not be learned yesterday.

Margaret T. Burns, a spokeswoman for the city state's attorney's office, said Moore was arrested on the attempted murder charge in November 2001. He was released on bail, was arrested twice on other charges in March 2003 and December 2003, and was returned to jail to await trial in the attempted murder case.

In November 2004, court records show, Moore pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of first-degree assault and was sentenced to 25 years in prison, with all but 20 years suspended. It could not be learned yesterday when Moore was released from prison.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.