Giles helps Mt. Hebron rally past Jersey rival

Attacker's five goals lead comeback after Vikings fall behind 3-0

No. 1 Mount Hebron 11 Moorestown (N.J.) 7

Girls lacrosse

May 06, 2007|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Reporter

For a moment in last night's game against Moorestown, N.J., Mount Hebron's girls lacrosse team flashed back to its loss to West Genesee, N.Y., three weeks ago - but only for a moment.

This time when the host Vikings fell behind by three goals in the first three minutes, they responded quickly. Later, they used a 5-1 run to spark a third straight victory over seven-time defending New Jersey state champ Moorestown, 11-7, before about 1,200 fans.

The No. 1 Vikings (13-1) were much more aggressive last night and much more sure of themselves all over the field.

Some of the edge was off the game, which for the past two seasons had featured two unbeaten teams battling to be No. 1 in the nation. This year, both teams had lost, but the game still meant a lot to the Vikings, whose 103-game winning streak ended with the 14-6 loss to West Genesee.

"This was definitely our chance to prove to everyone that we're still a great team and that we still have a lot of talent, and just because we lost one game doesn't mean that anyone can beat us," said Vikings attacker Jacqueline Giles, who scored five goals.

"We worked together from that point where we lost and we've come so much closer together. We learned how to dig deep and fight when you're down. There was a moment when that kind of felt like the West Genny game at the beginning, and I think that's the difference from the team we were then and the team we are now is we know how to fight back and earn that win."

After Moorestown's initial spurt, the Vikings needed just five minutes to catch up and then went ahead 4-3 on Jill Rekart's free-position goal. The game was tied at 4 and 5 before Winnie Call scored off a loose ball to give the Quakers (11-3) a 6-5 lead four minutes after the half.

That would be the last Quakers lead.

Giles, Rekart and Alicia Krause scored within three minutes of each other to give the Vikings an 8-6 lead. After Moorestown's Bridget Callahan cut the lead to 8-7 with her fourth goal of the night, Marta Chell and Giles pushed the lead to 10-7 with 9:01 left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.