Carbon monoxide sickens family

April 16, 2007|By Richard Irwin

Four members of a Northwest Baltimore family, including two children, were hospitalized yesterday after becoming ill from carbon monoxide fumes emanating from their home's basement furnace, said a spokesman for the city Fire Department.

Chief Kevin Cartwright said firefighters received a 911 call about 4:20 p.m. from a sickened family member at a home in the 3800 block of Boarman Ave. A woman, her 16-year-old daughter, a toddler and the children's grandmother were removed from the house and given oxygen at the scene by medics, Cartwright said.

They experienced weakness, dizziness and vomiting for more than a day as fumes filled their house, he said.

The family members were taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where they were treated, he said.

Carbon monoxide levels in the house were at least 300 parts per million, a dangerous level that requires immediate evacuation, he said.

Heavy-duty fans were used to ventilate the house, and repairs were expected to be made before the family is allowed to return, he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.