Vikings hang on for No. 102

Mt. Hebron fends off St. Paul's, 7-6, to keep streak alive, can tie Loch Raven's mark Friday

Girls lacrosse

April 10, 2007|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun reporter

Mount Hebron's No. 1 girls lacrosse team let out a collective sigh of relief when the final buzzer sounded on yesterday's 7-6 win over No. 9 St. Paul's - and with good reason.

St. Paul's midfielder Ashley Holofcener forced a Vikings turnover with 20 seconds left, setting the Gators off on a race with Mount Hebron and the clock as they went for the tying goal.

Maggie Dunbar looked for a shot in the 8-meter arc, but when the Vikings denied her, she passed to Kirsty Goldberg. As Goldberg tried to control the high pass, the Vikings' Bria Eulitt checked the ball away with six seconds to go.

That sealed the victory in the 11th Maryland High School Lacrosse Showdown at Johns Hopkins' Homewood Field and boosted the Vikings' winning streak to 102 games.

Mount Hebron (5-0) will go after Loch Raven's record 103 straight wins and 104 games without a loss at its tournament beginning Friday night against Conestoga (Pa.).

While yesterday's game was a little too close for comfort, the Vikings revel in beating the few tough foes they face each season, especially now.

"It makes these games more memorable because it's the countdown for the record and they're big games. You're fighting like dogs for each one. We're one step closer and we'll keep on fighting," Vikings midfielder Jackie Doherty said.

Yesterday, the Vikings opened a 5-1 lead before the Gators (3-6) rallied with a 4-1 second-half run paced by Grace Gavin's three goals.

Jill Rekart then gave Mount Hebron a 7-5 lead with 8:35 to go on a diving shot off a feed from Doherty. Dunbar answered on a pass from Kate Cathell with 6:57 remaining.

After that, defense, which had been the story of the game on both sides, took over. St. Paul's goalie Isabel Harvey made two of her 13 saves against free-position shots in the last five minutes.

Holofcener's caused turnover came as the Vikings tried to stall out the game after Doherty forced a Gators turnover with 1:26 left.

"It was exactly what we wanted at the time," the senior midfielder said. "It really gave us that second hope that we could really be productive and make something happen and maybe come away with a tie."

The second-half battle was not unexpected for Brooke Kuhl-McClelland, who is 97-0 in her sixth season as Mount Hebron's head coach.

"We knew they ... were going to come out and physically attack," she said. "They're Goliath beaters. They've already beaten [St. Stephen's/St. Agnes]. How much would this make their season to beat you when you're going for the streak? I knew they were coming out fighting."

No. 4 Dulaney 6, No. 12 Roland Park 5 --The Showdown's other game was just as close, with the Lions pulling out a victory over the Reds.

The Reds (5-4) took their only lead of the game on Miller Hughes' goal 48 seconds after halftime.

Mary Heneberry then scored two goals and assisted Blair King for another as the Lions (6-0) took a 6-4 lead with 5:35 left.

Laura Simanski brought the Reds within 6-5 off an exceptional feed from Courtney Kirk with 3:31 to go.

Dulaney's defense sealed the win as Hope McIntyre and Ana Heneberry each had blocks that caused turnovers - Heneberry's against Hughes' free-position shot with one minute left.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.