Blast suspends Steele for remainder of season

Pro Soccer

March 28, 2007|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,Sun Reporter

Blast midfielder Jonathan Steele, the youngest member of the team at 20, has been suspended for the rest of the season, including the playoffs, president-general manager Kevin Healey announced yesterday.

Steele became argumentative during halftime of Saturday night's loss in Philadelphia and lashed out at his teammates and coach Danny Kelly. He was suspended earlier this season for two games, also for behavioral reasons.

"It was an unfortunate situation," Healey said. "We like Jonny as a player and person, but he cut across the line and we made a stand that we weren't going to stand for that after he had been warned about it."

Steele, who has departed for his outdoor team in North Carolina, was in his second season with the Blast and third in the Major Indoor Soccer League. He had 24 points in 26 games this season.

A native of Northern Ireland, he has played professionally in England and for the Northern Ireland youth national team.

"He told me they have fights at halftime over there," Healey said. "And I asked him what that accomplished. There was no fighting involved here."

kent.baker@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.