Melvina M. Coleman, 98

Teacher, owner of antiques store

March 27, 2007

Melvina M. Coleman, a former teacher and antiques store owner, died of complications from an infection Wednesday at the Presbyterian Home of Maryland in Towson. She was 98.

Melvina Moran was born and raised in Apache, Okla., and earned a bachelor's degree from Oklahoma State University in 1931. She began her teaching career in a one-room school in Oklahoma.

In 1938, she married Dr. George C. Coleman, who was on the faculty of Austin College in Sherman, Texas. In 1956, the couple moved to Govans after Dr. Coleman joined the faculty of what is now Towson University.

Dr. Coleman, who was later chairman of the political science department, died in 1990.

In 1960, she established the Corner Cupboard Antique Shop, at Bellona Avenue and York Road in Govans, which later became known as Coleman's Antiques.

The couple enjoyed traveling the East Coast exhibiting in antiques shows, and after her husband retired in 1973, they moved to Cape Coral, Fla.

Mrs. Coleman owned and operated an antiques shop in Fort Meyers, Fla., until returning to Baltimore in 1986 when Dr. Coleman became ill.

Mrs. Coleman lived at Oak Crest Village in Parkville for several years before moving to the Presbyterian Home two years ago.

Mrs. Coleman was an accomplished seamstress and enjoyed playing bridge, reading and knitting.

A memorial service will be held at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Presbyterian Home of Maryland, 400 Georgia Court.

Survivors include a son, Charles C. Coleman of Palatka, Fla.; four daughters, Judy A. Copeland of Towson, Helen Y. Coleman of Towson, Nancy C. Mace of Salisbury and Vina C. Hughes of Catonsville; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.