Edwin S. Huson

[Age 83] The Kingsville resident was a career member of the Maryland National Guard and a World War II prisoner of war.

March 18, 2007|By Nia-Malika Henderson | Nia-Malika Henderson,sun reporter

Edwin S. Huson, a career member of the Maryland National Guard and a World War II prisoner of war, died Wednesday of interstitial fibrosis at the Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air. He was 83 and lived in Kingsville.

Born in Dallastown, Pa., he moved to Franklinville in Baltimore County as a teenager and attended Bel Air High School. Before entering the Army in 1942, he earned his General Educational Development certificate.

As a member of the 8th Army Air Corps, 92nd Bomb Group, 327th Bomb Squadron, Mr. Huson was a technical sergeant stationed in England, where he served as a waist gunner on a B-17 bomber.

On May 12, 1944, during a bombing mission to Merseburg, Germany, his aircraft was hit by enemy fire and went down in Koblenz. Three crew members were killed, and seven, including Mr. Huson, were held as prisoners of war in what is now Tychowo, Poland.

For 85 days, Mr. Huson and his crew mates were marched all over Germany during the dead of winter. On May 2, 1945, they were liberated by the British.

Later that year, Mr. Huson returned to Franklinville and began working for Glenn L. Martin Co. and as a plasterer.

In 1948, he married Eleanor Green, whom he met at a neighborhood baseball game.

"We were just sitting there watching our friends play, and I think he stepped on my hand," Mrs. Huson recalled. "We started to talk and then started to date, and I hadn't been sorry in all those years."

Mr. Huson joined the ranks of the Maryland State Police in 1954, where he remained for about a year. In 1956 he joined the Maryland National Guard, which he served as an air defense platoon sergeant, first sergeant and public affairs supervisor.

He retired in 1984 as a master sergeant and became a civilian employee of the Maryland Military Department. After a 33-year career, he received the Maryland Meritorious Service Medal in 1989.

Over the years, Mr. Huson often related his experiences as a prisoner of war to schoolchildren and sometimes broke down when he explained his time in captivity, his wife said.

Every year, during the holidays, the remaining crew members spoke to one another over the phone, his wife said.

He remained active in the prisoner of war community and in 2003 became junior vice commander of the Albert J. Bland Maryland North Chapter of the American Ex-Prisoners of War.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday.

In addition to his wife, survivors include a son, Stephen M. Huson of Bel Air; a sister, Shirley Matthews of Bel Air; and two grandsons.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.