History

Building the State House

March 18, 2007

The cornerstone for the Annapolis State House was laid in March 1772 by the governor of the colony, Robert Eden. It was a propitious period in the thriving seaport, poised on the edge of revolution. Yet the trans-Atlantic slave trade was a regular presence, too, with human cargo disembarking from the docks a short walk from the State House site.

The project was unfinished in 1783 when Annapolis was briefly the national capital and Congress met here, under a leaky roof. The handsome dome that we see today was not done until 1788.

Lore has it that some original wooden pegs reinforced by iron straps remain in place.

[Source: Maryland State Archives staff]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.