History lives in Howard County

March 18, 2007

Attractions

Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum -- 300 Oella Ave., Oella, 410-887-1081. Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. "Artifacts and exhibits dedicated to the life and times of "the first African-American man of science." Birding trails and garden.

Bollman Truss Railroad Bridge -- 8650 Foundry St., Savage, 800-788-MILL. The 1869 wrought- and cast-iron bridge is the only known remaining example of the Baltimore engineering design used in the United States and abroad.

Brumbaugh House -- Elk Ridge Heritage Society, 5825 Main St., Elkridge, 410-796-3282. Hours: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. Brumbaugh House, built in the late 1800s, was home to many doctors. It has exhibits of a small-town doctor's waiting room, displays and a library.

B&O Railroad Museum, Ellicott City Station -- 2711 Maryland Ave., Ellicott City, 410-461-1945; www.ecborail.org. Hours: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays through Sundays. Admission: adults, $5; seniors (60 and older), $4; children (2-12), $3; children younger than 2, free; members, free. "Completed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1830, the Ellicott City station is the oldest surviving railroad station in America and the site of the original terminus of the first 13 miles of commercial track ever constructed in America. In the 1970s, the station was restored as a museum and a second restoration in 1999 returned the building to its 1857 appearance. Today, the site interprets the story of transportation and travel in early America through seasonal exhibits, education programs and living history programs."

Ellicott City Colored School Restored -- 8683 Frederick Road, Ellicott City, 410-313-1428. www.ellicottcitycoloredschool.net. Open by appointment. The school was built about 1880. The museum presents the history of education for African-American children in Howard County from the late 1800s to the early 1900s.

Ellicott City Firehouse Museum -- 3829 Church Road, Ellicott City, 410-313-1413. Open some weekends and by appointment. "The town's first fire station, circa 1889, is now a museum with exhibits of antique firefighting equipment."

Ellicott City Historic District Walking Tour -- "A self-guided walking tour of 28 historic sites, including houses of worship, homes and museums." Tour maps are available at the Howard County Tourism Visitor Information Center, 8267 Main St., Ellicott City, 410-313-1900, and may be downloaded at www.visithowardcounty. com.

Friends of the Whipps Cemetery and Memorial Gardens -- 3651 St. Johns Lane, Ellicott City, 410-465-6721. Restored 1-acre site with graves from 1833 to the early 1900s.

Historic Oakland Manor -- 5430 Vantage Point Road, Columbia, 410-730-4801 or 800-730-4802; www.historic-oakland.com. The restored 1811 mansion and gardens are open by appointment and for scheduled events and teas.

Historic Savage Mill -- 8600 Foundry St., Savage, 410-792-2820 or 800-788-MILL; www.savagemill.com. Hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays to Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursdays to Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays. The 19th-century mill, a national historic landmark, has been restored for shopping and dining.

Howard County Historical Society Museum and Library -- 8328 Court Ave., Ellicott City, 410-750-0370; www.hchsmd.org. Museum hours: noon to 4:30 p.m. Saturdays; Tuesdays to Fridays, by appointment. Library hours: noon to 8 p.m. Tuesdays; noon to 5 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday; Fridays by appointment; and noon to 4:30 p.m. Saturdays. The museum and library collections have historical artifacts, printed materials and photographs.

Patapsco Female Institute Historic Park -- Mount Ida Visitor Center, 3691 Sarahs Lane, Ellicott City, 410-465-8500; www.patapsco femaleinstitute.org. The park is a stabilized ruin of a prominent 19th- century school for girls. Tours are offered from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays from April through October. Admission: $4; students and seniors, $3; age 5 and younger, free.

Shrine of St. Anthony -- 12290 Folly Quarter Road, Ellicott City, 410-531-2800; www.shrineofst anthony.org. Home to Franciscan friars for decades, the shrine has a relic of St. Anthony and a chapel that is open to the public.

Thomas Isaac Log Cabin in Historic Ellicott City -- Main Street and Ellicott Mills Drive, 410-313-1413; www.thomasisaaclog cabin.net. Hours: 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, noon to 5 p.m. Sundays, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays. The cabin was built about 1780 and reconstructed on the present site more recently as a living-history site.

Thomas Viaduct -- Levering Avenue, west of U.S. 1, Elkridge, Patapsco Valley State Park, 410-796-3282. "Built in 1835, the structure is the first curved, stone-arch bridge in America. The bridge carried the early B&O rail over the Patapsco River and has remained in service over 165 years."

Waverly Mansion -- 2300 Waverly Mansion Drive, Marriottsville, 410-313-5400. www.co.ho.md.us/RAP/rap_waverly.htm. Open by appointment for events and tours, the 18th-century manor house was the property of Maryland Gov. John Eager Howard and his son, Gov. George Howard.

Sources: Howard County Tourism Council and Web sites for various attractions

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.