New Town's runs subdue Snow Hill

Titans seek first 1A title today vs. Dunbar

New Town 62 Snow Hill 55

Boys basketball

March 10, 2007|By Michael Gluskin | Michael Gluskin,Sun reporter

College Park -- New Town coach Mike Smith said his team took too many three-pointers in the first half, so he told his two guards, senior Daniel DeSouse and junior Stuart Clarke, to attack the basket more.

DeSouse and Clarke did just that, leading the Titans on an 11-0 run early in the third quarter. That run, combined with a 13-0 spurt in the final quarter, helped New Town defeat Snow Hill, 62-55, in the Class 1A boys basketball semifinals yesterday at Comcast Center.

The Titans face rival Dunbar, which has won four consecutive state titles, today at 1 p.m.

"Somebody's going to make history," Smith said, referring to Dunbar's quest for five straight and New Town's seeking its first championship. "We know we've beaten them before. We know we can do it."

Twenty seconds into the fourth quarter, New Town led by four points. Over the next few minutes, the Titans expanded their lead to a game-high 17 points by consistently attacking the basket.

The Titans followed Smith's halftime advice, attempting just two three-pointers in the second half compared to 10 in the first. New Town connected on 74 percent of its second-half shots (14-for-19), shooting above 50 percent for the game.

Snow Hill struggled from the field, making just 32 percent of its attempts (19-for-60). The Eagles were forced to shoot three-pointers late in the game to try and get back into it.

The 11-0 third-quarter run by the Titans included four straight layups by DeSouse or Clarke, and helped deflate the Eagles. Each player scored 23 points, combining for nearly three-quarters of New Town's offensive output.

"We had a bad third quarter. We didn't come out of halftime as well as I wanted to," Snow Hill coach Allen Miller said. "They just shot so much better than we did."

The first half was a back-and-forth affair. Snow Hill, from Worcester County, took an early six-point lead, but New Town tied the game by the end of the first quarter.

The score stayed close in the second quarter, but the Titans scored six straight toward the end of the period to grab a three-point halftime lead.

Junior guard Trevon Johnson led the Eagles with 18 points. Freshman Cedrick Johnson scored 12 and freshman Keith Jackson added 10 points.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.