Witnesses help track suspect in killing of teen

February 28, 2007|By Gus G. Sentementes and Richard Irwin | Gus G. Sentementes and Richard Irwin,Sun reporters

Baltimore detectives have made arrests in two recent homicides, police reported yesterday, including the capture of a man wanted in the slaying of a 16-year-old boy who tried to protect his friend from being robbed in Northeast Baltimore last month.

Marcus McDowell, a high school graduate who planned to start community college this year, was gunned down Jan. 8 while rushing to aid a friend who was being robbed by three men in the 5100 block of Harford Road, police said.

One of the robbers shot McDowell four times in the head and upper body, police charging documents show.

Early in their investigation, witnesses told police detectives that the men involved in the robbery and shooting had bought some items at a nearby gas station.

Detectives reviewed the station's surveillance footage and identified the suspects with the help of the witnesses, police charging documents said.

On Monday afternoon, detectives arrested 22-year-old Rasul Malik Brown of the 800 block of Gilrubin Court after spotting him at a shopping center in the 2400 block of E. Northern Parkway.

Brown has been convicted three times for drug dealing and was on probation when McDowell was killed, court records show.

During his arrest, officers also seized 43 baggies of suspected crack cocaine and $619 in cash, a police spokesman said. Brown faces first-degree murder and drug-related charges, police said.

In a fatal shooting Monday in West Baltimore, a shift commander responding to the scene spotted a man running away who fit the description that witnesses provided of the shooter, police said.

Detectives brought the man in for questioning and later arrested him in the killing of Vernon L. Carter, 25, in the 1800 block of W. Lanvale St.

Carter died shortly after he was transported to Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

He was the city's 44th homicide victim this year.

Witnesses told police they saw a man wearing a brown jacket and blue jeans shoot Carter about 5:15 p.m. and then run away. Police caught the man nearby, in the 500 block of N. Fulton Ave. Detectives charged the man in the killing based on witness statements, according to police charging documents.

Charged with first-degree murder is Gregory Johnson Jr., 21, who lived in the 2400 block of Druid Hill Ave., police said.

gus.sentementes@baltsun.com richard.irwin@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.