Crime Watch


February 22, 2007

Fatal shootings bring homicide total to 41

Two men were fatally shot in separate incidents in East and West Baltimore yesterday and Tuesday evening.

The city has recorded 41 homicides this year, compared with 40 during the same period last year. Two victims have been under the age of 18, compared with eight last year at this time, according to police reports.

The latest killing occurred yesterday about 8 a.m. in the 1500 block of N. Bradford St. in East Baltimore. Police said an unidentified man was found with a gunshot wound to the head. Additional details were not immediately available.

On Tuesday, Andre S. Jones, 27, was playing video poker about 11 p.m. at the Jusgo delicatessen in the 1800 block of Clifton Ave. when two gunmen entered the West Baltimore shop, shot him and fled.

Jones, who lived in the 3300 block of Glyndon Ave., died about 40 minutes after arriving at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, police said.

Police also reported the fatal shooting of a 22-year-old man early Monday. Officers found the man bleeding from gunshot wounds in a home in the 2300 block of Barclay St. about 12:10 a.m. He died at Johns Hopkins Hospital later that day, police said.

Police were withholding the man's identity until relatives could be notified.

Gus G. Sentementes

Teen sentenced in stabbing

Thomas D. Morten was 17 years old when he stabbed another Baltimore man nine times, through "every vital organ you can think of," a city prosecutor said.

This week, Morten, now 18, was sentenced to 15 years in prison after pleading guilty in November to second-degree murder and use of a deadly weapon.

At the Tuesday sentencing hearing in Baltimore Circuit Court, Assistant State's Attorney Kevin Wiggins said Morten stabbed Donald Henderson, 22, so hard that the tip of the knife broke off in the man's skull.

"I really don't know what to say," Morten said at the hearing. "I can't tell you what happened. ... I'm sorry."

Explaining her client's motivation for the stabbing, defense attorney Audre Davis-Robinson said, "From his perspective, it was a matter of life and death."

The prosecutor said there was no evidence Henderson had any weapons when he was attacked - from behind - Feb. 13, 2006, at an apartment in the 3000 block of Thorndale Ave.

Circuit Judge John M. Glynn sentenced Morten to 30 years in prison, with all but 15 years suspended, to be followed by a five-year probation.

Morten smiled broadly as he was led from the courtroom in handcuffs.

Julie Bykowicz

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.