Charcoal grill poisons 3 using it to heat home

February 17, 2007|By Anica Butler

Three people in Annapolis were sent to Maryland Shock Trauma Center with carbon monoxide poisoning after heating their home with a charcoal grill, a city fire official said yesterday.

Firefighters responding to the apartment in the 300 block of Center St. at 7:30 p.m. Thursday found a 37-year-old woman who was losing consciousness and two men, ages 22 and 48, who also showed signs of poisoning, said Lt. John Bowes, a Fire Department spokesman.

Their identities and conditions were not available last night.

The carbon monoxide level inside the apartment was measured at 160 parts per million. Typically, a measurement higher than 35 parts per million is considered potentially fatal, Bowes said.

Fire officials warn against using gas or charcoal grills indoors. The Annapolis family were using the grill inside after Wednesday's ice storm, which knocked out power to more than 90,000 BGE customers. As of last night, 2,332 customers in Anne Arundel County and 1,003 in Harford still had no power.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.