Call for youth were delayed

CPR, 911

Bowling Brook staff believed boy feigned sleep while unconscious, school reports

January 31, 2007|By Gadi Dechter and Greg Garland | Gadi Dechter and Greg Garland,sun reporters

When a youth at the Bowling Brook Preparatory School lost consciousness last week while being restrained by staff, workers delayed administering CPR or calling for an ambulance because they believed he was pretending to be asleep, according to a report sent by the school to the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services.

When the paramedics were finally summoned, 17-year-old Isaiah Simmons was rushed to Carroll Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Bowling Brook's account of the efforts by staff to restrain Simmons for at least three hours is contained in a required report to the juvenile services agency, which placed Simmons in the residential program for juvenile offenders. The report, released yesterday, describes in clinical terms the hours of restraint and what happened when Simmons lost consciousness.

" [In] time, [Simmons] stopped struggling and became nonresponsive," the report says. "The collective thinking of intervening staff and students was that [Simmons] was feigning sleep.

"[Simmons] was then raised from the prone position to the seated and brought outside, for staff to assess and check vital signs. Within minutes, [Simmons] was returned back in to the house for staff to administer CPR as the ambulance was simultaneously called."

Medical experts say it can be dangerous to delay even for few minutes beginning cardiopulmonary resuscitation or calling an ambulance.

"It's been well documented that the sooner you start CPR, the better the chances are that patients will survive," Eric J. Beauvois, an emergency room physician at St. Joseph Medical Center in Baltimore, said yesterday. "The sooner you can get the paramedics involved and the sooner you can get the patient in the hospital, the better. All those will increase your chance of resuscitation. A matter of minutes can make a difference."

Bowling Brook's report provides the first detailed description by the school of the Jan. 23 incident that ended with Simmons' death. It differs significantly in tone from the vivid account given by Ronnell Williams, 18, one of at least six Bowling Brook students who witnessed the incident.

"They grabbed [Simmons] and slammed his ass down," Williams said yesterday in an interview. "He was face down ... eagle-spread, his arms was out and his legs, too," he said. "There were five staff. One on each leg, one on each arm, and one had his knees on [Simmons'] back."

"He told them he was hurting," Williams said. "He told them he couldn't breathe. Nobody wanted to believe him."

At least three other student eyewitnesses have given similar accounts to their lawyers, including statements that staff "sat on" Simmons as they restrained him, according to the Maryland public defender's office.

Bowling Brook, through its public relations agency, released a statement last night expressing confidence that the Carroll County sheriff's investigation into the death "will reveal that Bowling Brook's procedures were appropriate, that our staff acted in accordance with our procedures and in a manner consistent with Maryland law."

In response to allegations that staff have restrained students by sitting or kneeling on them, the school "categorically" denied that workers ever sat or knelt on the "head or torso" of Isaiah Simmons. The statement did not address allegations that staff sat on Simmons' back, as Williams and others have claimed.

School officials said that their staff training program meets or exceeds legal requirements in Maryland, including in the use of physical restraint, and that the "vast majority" of staff have four-year college degrees. The counselors involved in the incident with Simmons were "senior staff of the highest caliber with advanced training," the statement said.

While the state medical examiner has not determined the cause of Simmons' death, one medical authority says it appears to fit the general pattern for what is known as "positional asphyxia."

That can occur when a person is being restrained after a period of intense physical exertion, and is positioned on his stomach with weight applied to the back, said Harry J. MacDannald, a pulmonary and critical care physician at John Muir Hospital in Walnut Creek, Calif.

"What happens is when individuals struggle for long periods of time, their muscles become fatigued," said MacDannald, who has studied positional asphyxia. "They get respiratory muscle fatigue. If they are then placed face down, when the person breathes, their chest is compressed. It takes even more work to breathe under those circumstances. Eventually, they just stop breathing."

Authorities yesterday continued to remove students from Bowling Brook, for decades a well-regarded residential program outside Westminster. As of yesterday, 15 of 72 young offenders placed there by the Department of Juvenile Services had been removed from the school, said Edward Hopkins, a department spokesman. All but one of the 15 were sent home to parents or guardians, he said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.