History

Havre de Grace fire unit formed

January 21, 2007

The Susquehanna Hose Company was formed on Jan. 24, 1902, and incorporated in 1922.

The company, consisting of 33 charter members, served Havre de Grace and the surrounding county. Initially, it was equipped with hand-drawn apparatus. Motorized trucks were purchased after 1910, including a 1934 Stutz pumper, a 1939 American-LaFrance truck designed to carry long ladders and a 1951 Mack pumper.

In 1953, the company was made up of three divisions, on North Adams Street, Union Avenue, and at Market and Fountain Streets.

The 65 active members were led by an elected president and chief. Funding for operations came from the Board of County Commissioners, the city of Havre de Grace and contributions by the public.

[Source -- Harford County Directory, 1953. Research by Harford County Public Library]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.