Crime Watch


January 19, 2007

Pilot who crashed helicopter is charged

A pilot who crashed-landed a helicopter at the port of Baltimore in November was charged yesterday with two counts of reckless endangerment and several drug offenses, according to Maryland Transportation Authority police.

Medical tests showed that the pilot, Kenneth Trivett, 34, of Fredericksburg, Va., was using an opiate-based drug while he was flying, said Cpl. Jonathan Green, a spokesman for the police. Officers who searched the damaged helicopter said they found a small toiletries bag containing methamphetamine, amphetamines and oxycodone.

"It is not your run-of-the-mill criminal investigation," said Transportation Authority Police Chief Gary W. McLhinney. "We're very fortunate that his actions didn't result in anyone else being hurt on the ground. It is outrageous that anyone would try to operate an aircraft in that kind of condition."

Trivett was delivering a Robins model R44 II helicopter from Washington to Baltimore in when he crash-landed. Police said he was trying to land on a Low-Boy, a device similar to a flatbed truck, but missed the target. Trivett was not seriously injured in the crash.

Annie Linskey

Man, woman found dead

Police responding to a 911 call reporting gunshots last night in a West Baltimore rowhouse found a man and woman dead and evidence that indicated a possible murder and suicide, city police said.

The bodies were found shortly after 8:30 p.m. in the house in the 1300 block of N. Calhoun St., said Officer Troy Harris, a police spokesman. The victims' names and relationship were not released.

Pending a determination in the double shooting, including autopsies by the state medical examiner's office, the number of homicides in the city this year stands at 17.

Richard Irwin

Man accused of sex abuse

LA PLATA -- A charter boat captain has been indicted on 95 counts of child sex abuse and other crimes in a case involving eight boys who worked on his boat.

Karl Warren Hickerson, 63, of Lanham was indicted Jan. 12 in Charles County and is being held in lieu of $1 million bail at the county detention center.

The boys fished with Hickerson and sometimes slept in his trailer at Goose Bay Marina near Welcome, police said. The suspected abuse took place between 2003 and 2005.

Hickerson was arrested in Prince George's County on Oct. 7 and was turned over to the Charles County Sheriff's Office.

The department later learned of additional cases.

Associated Press

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.