Brooks sparks St. Frances

Senior scores 21, helps No. 3 Panthers get past No. 2 Randallstown

No. 3 St. Frances 54 No. 2 Randallstown 45

Boys basketball

January 12, 2007|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN REPORTER

Last night's boys basketball game between No. 2 Randallstown and No. 3 St. Frances was more than just a matchup of highly regarded teams.

At stake at the 11th annual Basketball Academy at Morgan State's Hill Field House was the reputation of Baltimore County's best in Randallstown against one of the perennial powers of the Baltimore Catholic League and the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference in St. Frances.

St. Frances (14-3) came away the winner, 54-45, despite playing without two-time All-Metro swingman Sean Mosley for most of the game and losing guard Desmond Thomas to fouls midway through the final quarter.

Mosley, a 6-foot-5 junior, injured his left leg coming down on a rebound with five minutes left in the first quarter. He returned to start the second period, but after making the second of two free throws, limped off and was finished for the night.

Senior Aric Brooks, who had a game-high 21 points, stepped up in their absence. The 6-foot-6 Brooks scored 13 of his points in the last period, going 9-for-10 from the line, the last eight in a row.

"It was really tough without Sean and then Desmond [down the stretch], but I give credit to our role players," Brooks said. "The guys off the bench really did a great job. We came into a hostile atmosphere [a BCL team playing in the city-dominated event] and got it done.

"We had to make the free throws and I had to step it up. We came together as a team."

Naji Hibbert scored 12 of his 17 points for the Panthers in the second half, and he and Brooks had six rebounds each.

Anthony Oquendo, who had four points, grabbed nine rebounds and blocked two shots for the victors.

Kim English led the Rams (9-1) with 20 points, seven in the final period. English's shooting and the rebounding of Darrell Bryant, Donnell Dorsey and Alexander Jackson kept the Rams in the game.

Randallstown was down by 49-45 with 1:47 left after two free throws by English, but four straight foul shots by Brooks in the last 36 seconds iced it.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.