Crime Watch


January 11, 2007

Two deaths raise toll for the new year to 15

Two men were fatally shot Tuesday night in apparently unrelated incidents that sent Baltimore's homicide toll this year to 15 -- nearly double the eight who were killed during the same period in 2006.

The latest victims died within minutes of each other early yesterday at Johns Hopkins Hospital, police said.

In the first of the night's slayings, officers responding to a report of a man shot about 10:20 p.m. in front of a house in the 1200 block of N. Caroline St. found William Davis, 26, of the 1300 block N. Broadway lying on the ground and bleeding from a bullet wound to the back, said Agent Donny Moses, a police spokesman.

Davis died at 12:30 a.m. at Hopkins.

Moses said the other victim, 30-year-old Antwaine Curbeam, was standing at a bus stop in the 5200 block of York Road in Govans about 11:40 p.m. when an unknown male shot him in the head at close range and fled on foot, according to witness accounts to police.

Curbeam, of the 600 block of W. Franklin St., was pronounced dead at 12:36 a.m. at Hopkins, six minutes after Davis died, Moses said.

Police also released the name yesterday of the woman who was fatally shot Tuesday afternoon near her home in Brooklyn.

Melissa Stefanski, 23, who lived in the 4000 block of Eighth St., was found dead with a bullet wound to the head. Her body was found behind the nearby 600 block of Washburn Ave., police said.

No arrest had been made in the killings, and motives were unknown, police said. Metro Crime Stoppers, 410-276-8888, is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment.

Richard Irwin

2 sought in driver's shooting

Baltimore police were seeking at least two men in the shooting and carjacking of a cabdriver who was forced from his vehicle last night at a crowded Brooklyn intersection near the Anne Arundel County border.

The unnamed victim, an employee of Southside Transport Inc., was shot in the neck with pellets from some kind of small-caliber "snake-shot" weapon that penetrated his skin but failed to enter the throat, police said. He was reported in good condition at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. The cab was found about 30 minutes later at Jeffrey and 8th streets in Brooklyn.

Richard Irwin

Chaining girl, 15, draws term

Tia Whitehead, the mother of a 15-year-old Baltimore girl chained to a bed for four days, was sentenced in Circuit Court yesterday to five years' probation.

The 34-year-old must complete a 12-week parent education program, undergo substance abuse evaluations and have no unsupervised contact with her daughter until she completes the parent program, city prosecutors said. Whitehead's boyfriend, Samuel Pounds, 30, was sentenced last month to 18 months in prison and three years' probation. Pounds chained the girl to the bed June 16 last year. She was not found until a passer-by heard her yelling for help June 19.

Associated Press

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.