Johnson's 3's add up for Eagles in OT win

Aberdeen 67 Edgewood 59

Boys basketball

January 04, 2007|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Special to The Sun

Back problems had limited Aberdeen forward R.J. Johnson's playing time this season, but he made Edgewood feel some pain in last night's game.

Johnson hit back-to-back three-pointers in overtime to help visiting Aberdeen take charge, and the Eagles scored the final eight points of the extra period for a 67-59 victory over Edgewood in the Upper Chesapeake Bay Athletic Conference season opener for both teams.

A back sprain had sidelined the 6-foot-2 junior the previous two weeks, and Aberdeen coach Richard Hart said it was the first time Johnson had gotten into the flow of a game. He gave the Eagles a spark with 11 points off the bench in a rematch of last year's UCBAC title game.

The game was tied at 56 heading into overtime after Edgewood's 25-point fourth quarter had erased Aberdeen's 41-31 lead after three periods.

The Rams were leading by two in overtime when Johnson hit his first three-point shot from the left wing with 2:38 left. He hit another from the same spot with 1:37 remaining to give the Eagles the lead for good at 62-59.

"We needed somebody to step up," Johnson said. "I just felt it and shot it up."

Stephan Robinson (17 points) hit another three-pointer 20 seconds later, and Brandon Newell added a jumper in the final 20 seconds for Aberdeen (4-5).

Hart credited assistant coach Ron Green with urging him to use a 2-2-1 press that gave the Rams trouble in overtime. Edgewood (5-4) scored just one basket in overtime and no points in the final 2:21.

Devon Saddler led Aberdeen with 18 points as the Eagles had to overcome a spectacular effort by Edgewood senior guard Ed Jones, who finished with 32 points and 16 rebounds.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.