1841: Darlington Academy opens

HARFORD HISTORY

December 31, 2006

Early in the 19th century, Maryland encouraged a movement to establish academies to "prepare students for entrance into institutions of higher learning and for public life."

One such academy was the Darlington Academy. Building began in June of 1841, and the first floor was opened in December. John M. Cooley was the headmaster.

The state donated $150 annually but though the academy was a "public" school, tuition was required. Financial help was provided to some students by donors.

An early photograph suggests that, at least until 1867, black and white students attended the academy together.

[ Source: A Journey Through Berkley, Maryland by Constance R. Beims and Christine P. Tolbert. Research by Harford County Public Library.]

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.