Practice is hard to stomach for Wilson

Cornerback suffers from food poisoning, misses weekend session

Maryland Notebook

December 27, 2006|By Heather A. Dinich | Heather A. Dinich,Sun Reporter

ORLANDO, Fla. -- He couldn't remember exactly what he ordered for dinner Friday night, but it's probably best that Maryland cornerback Josh Wilson forgets it.

Whatever it was led to food poisoning and a temperature of 101 degrees. Wilson missed one practice this past weekend in preparation for Friday's 8 p.m. game against Purdue in the Champs Sports Bowl.

Wilson did say he ordered meat - "any and every kind of meat you could think of" - at an Orlando restaurant.

"I got the works, and it went to work on my stomach," he said. "It wasn't a good experience for me at all. I had a pretty bad night."

Timeout for kids

Maryland and Purdue participated yesterday in the Day for Kids Festival at Walt Disney World's Wide World of Sports, where each player was matched with an underprivileged child for about 2 1/2 hours. They played games, went through obstacle courses and did other activities.

"Our guys do such a good job of that, especially with community service," Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen said. "I thought all the players were very patient. I thought the kids really were enjoying it. It was a good thing.

"A couple of [Maryland players] didn't know how to react, being with the Purdue players," he said. "They're like the enemy, you know. I said it's really not about them, it's about the kids. Just think of what you're doing for them. I think they were better after that."

Arkansas and Wisconsin, who are playing in the Capital One Bowl here Jan. 1, also participated in the event.

Shelter from storm

It pays to have friends in Florida, especially on cold, rainy days.

Friedgen called up his buddy and University of Central Florida coach George O'Leary, whom he knows well from his days at Georgia Tech, to see if he could use their indoor practice facility yesterday.

The Terps were inside, while Purdue practiced on a field across the street from the Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium yesterday afternoon.

"He probably wouldn't have loaned that indoor place to anybody but me," Friedgen said. "I probably put him in a bind. There will be 1,000 people wanting to use it now. When I made the decision to go there, it was pouring rain. I knew the field was saturated. I didn't want to take a chance at anybody slipping or pulling a groin or hamstring."

The Terps made their 15-minute drive to UCF in style.

Seven Orlando policemen on motorcycles with Terps decals on their helmets escorted four team buses. The entourage arrived back at the stadium around 5:15 p.m. with sirens blaring, and an officer barked orders for somebody to open the gate.

By that time, the sun had come out.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.