City / County Digest

CITY / COUNTY DIGEST

December 26, 2006

Anne Arundel: Annapolis

Fire displaces condo residents

A three-alarm fire in Annapolis yesterday injured one firefighter and displaced residents of six condominiums, an Anne Arundel County fire official said. An unidentified 26-year-old firefighter from the Naval Academy suffered back and neck injuries in the blaze that broke out about 6:30 p.m. in the Windgate Condominiums, said Lt. Russ Davies, a Fire Department spokesman. It took 67 firefighters from three departments 50 minutes to get control of the fire, which started at the 2000 block of Warners Terrace South. Davies said a bird's nest built in the flue cap of the owner's gas fireplace had ignited. He said that the owner, Ellen Rheese, was unaware that her patio was on fire until firefighters broke down her door. Damage to her unit and the two above and below it was estimated at $400,000. All six units in the building were deemed uninhabitable.

Baltimore County: Essex

Pedestrian fatally injured in accident

A 50-year-old man was struck and killed Sunday evening as he crossed Eastern Boulevard near Old Eastern Avenue in Essex, police said. Shortly before 6 p.m., the man was struck by a Ford F-150 pickup driven by Patrick Bartholow, 42, of Cutter Cove Court, said Cpl. George Erhardt of the Baltimore County Police Department. The cause of the accident was pedestrian error, and no charges were filed against the driver, police said. Police did not release the name of the pedestrian, pending notification of his family.

Julie Scharper

Harford County: Fallston

Carbon monoxide exposure suspected

Four members of a Fallston family were hospitalized yesterday morning after showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, county fire officials said. At 7:46 a.m., volunteer firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the basement of a home in the 2100 block of Albrook Court, the result of an apparent furnace malfunction, said Dave Williams, a spokesman for the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association. Firefighters also found elevated levels of carbon monoxide, and took the four occupants of the home to University of Maryland Medical Center for treatment after they showed signs of exposure to the gas, Williams said.

Justin Fenton

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.