Fire hits too close to home for Lake Shore volunteers

December 04, 2006|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Sun Reporter

A fire hit home last night for the Lake Shore Volunteer Fire Company, causing at least $5,000 in damage to its station house, the Anne Arundel County Fire Department reported.

The fire at the station in the 4400 block of Mountain Road was caused by toilet paper stacked in a storage closet coming in contact with an electric light bulb that had been left on after an afternoon bingo event held in the station's hall, said Lt. Frank Fennell, a county Fire Department spokesman.

The fire was reported at 7:20 p.m. by one of four career firefighters on duty who observed smoke coming from the storage closet, Fennell said.

With the closest public water supply and hydrant about a mile away, a second alarm was called at 7:39 p.m., to bring extra equipment and more than 80 firefighters to the scene. "Fire apparatus from all over the area responded," Fennell said.

Damage was confined to the closet and a hallway, but smoke filled much of the 61-year-old, single-story building, Fennell said, adding that an engine, water tanker and ambulance parked in the building at the time were driven outside, undamaged.

Members of the volunteer company likely will be working temporarily out of another station, Fennell said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.