City / County Digest


December 01, 2006

Harford deputy had a fatal heart attack

An autopsy has found that the Harford County sheriff's deputy who died in a car crash Monday night while on an emergency call suffered a heart attack before his police cruiser veered into a ravine, authorities said yesterday.

William H. Beebe Jr., 28, had a 90 percent blockage in his aorta, which the state medical examiner said was the cause of his fatal heart attack, according to Sheriff's Office spokesman Robert B. Thomas.

Crash investigators determined there was no indication of mechanical failure, excessive speed or any factor other than the heart attack.

Beebe, with the Sheriff's Office since 2004, was responding on a call reporting a suicide attempt in Abingdon when his cruiser plunged down an embankment, and landed upright in a creek bed. Deputies found him in cardiac arrest, and he died at a hospital.

It was the first time in more than 100 years that a county deputy had died in the line of duty.

"Knowing the cause of death and the relationship of the heart attack to the accident helps bring closure to a very difficult and trying situation," Sheriff R. Thomas Golding said in a statement.

Investigators initially believed Beebe may have died as a result of internal injuries when his cruiser fell into the creek bed. The vehicle landed upright, however, and showed little damage. There were no signs that he had taken evasive action to avoid the crash, such as tire marks in the road, authorities said.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at the St. Ignatius Church in Hickory, followed by a procession to Dulaney Memorial Gardens. Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. has ordered the state flag flown at half-staff today.

Justin Fenton

Harford County: Aberdeen

Man, 49, accused of insurance fraud

A 49-year-old Aberdeen man has been charged with felony insurance fraud and conspiracy after he is said to have obtained $18,400 in insurance benefits, the state attorney general's office said yesterday. Stanley Reedy, of the first block of S. Philadelphia Road, is accused of misleading insurance investigators from the Ohio Casualty Insurance Co. by telling them that he and family members were involved in an auto accident and sustained injuries and lost wages, the attorney general's office said. If convicted on all charges, Reedy could face up to 30 years in prison. No trial date has been set.

Justin Fenton

Baltimore: Police force

Cleared in probe, city officer resigns

A Baltimore police officer who had been accused of setting fire to her sports utility vehicle in an attempt to defraud her insurance company has resigned from the force, the department's chief spokesman said.

Terre N. Shields, 28, quit this week, spokesman Matt Jablow said, a month after city prosecutors dropped arson and fraud charges that had been filed against the six-year veteran and her boyfriend, Rashad J. Brooks, 29. A prosecutor said Oct. 30 that the cases were dismissed because of insufficient evidence.

However, police continued with an internal investigation that included looking into Shields' relationship with Brooks, a convicted drug dealer in Baltimore County. Shields had been living in an apartment with Brooks and had run a convenience store with him - an apparent violation of the Police Department's general orders about officers refraining from personal contact with people "of questionable character."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.