No threepeat for Seahawks

South River falls in Class 4A final

Quince Orchard 1 South River 0

Field hockey

November 15, 2006|By Glenn Graham | Glenn Graham,Sun Reporter

COLLEGE PARK -- Junior goalie Virginia Jorden did a curious double take when looking at the team plaque the South River field hockey team had just received following last night's Class 4A state championship game.

It was understandable because it was different.

The Seahawks had won all of the prior three state championship games they played in, including the past two, but this time they found themselves on the losing end.

Quince Orchard of Montgomery County was able to match their determination and also score a goal, coming away with its first state title when sophomore Alissa Peterson scored with 5:27 to play in the second overtime to give the Cougars a 1-0 win over the No. 5 Seahawks at the University of Maryland.

South River finishes its season with a 16-4 mark, including a 2-1 win over Quince Orchard on Sept. 9.

This time, it was the Cougars (15-2) who had the final say. Peterson banged home an opportunity set up by a rush down the right side by fellow sophomore Veronica Kresse with the teams playing seven-against-seven in overtime.

"We all had some nervous jitters and we all wanted to win. I just think tonight we all just weren't there," South River senior defender Heather Bresnahan said. "I think everybody still played well, and for our last game, the seniors are really disappointed to not win our championship. But other than that, I think the team will be back again next year."

The Seahawks had a chance to win with 1:05 to play in regulation when they were awarded a penalty stroke after a Quince Orchard defender illegally kept the ball out of the cage at the crease. But senior midfielder Kellie Dress sent her shot wide to the left to keep the game scoreless.

"Kellie is our No.1 stroker - that was her first miss all year - so she is devastated by that," South River coach Katie Corcoran said. "But it's a whole team effort, and we couldn't get the ball in the cage and they played great. It was a great final game and I couldn't ask anything more from my girls."

Both teams protected their respective scoring circles well in a scoreless first half that saw few scoring chances.

The Cougars got to the ball first much of the first 30 minutes and earned the only penalty corner of the half with 6:30 left, but Bresnahan alertly cut off a short pass at the top circle and cleared to the other end.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.