Bruins ousted in 4A semi

Second straight trip to final prevented

Boys soccer

November 10, 2006|By Glenn Graham | Glenn Graham,SUN REPORTER

The Thomas Johnson boys soccer team came to Broadneck last night for its Class 4A state semifinal game against the No. 7 Bruins with no secrets.

The Patriots' strength all season was their dangerous set plays, and the trend continued last night.

Senior midfielder Stephen Powell headed home a long throw from senior back Jason Koski in the 54th minute and John Langford tacked on a late goal to give the Frederick school a 2-0 win over the Bruins, who fell one game short of a second straight trip to the state championship game.

Thomas Johnson (17-1) will take on Walter Johnson - a 3-1 winner over Bowie in yesterday's other semifinal - next week at UMBC. The date and time have yet to be set.

The Bruins (13-4-1) entered the game with eight straight shutouts, but couldn't keep out a dangerous Patriots side that had a score to settle from the season's opening week. In a tournament at Tuscarora High on Sept. 9, the Bruins handed Thomas Johnson its only loss of the season, 1-0.

Last night, the Patriots dictated play to make sure it was their turn.

"The intensity on both sides was outstanding," Broadneck coach Sean Tettemer said. "They executed better than we did and were really able to do the things they wanted to do. We tried the best we could to stop it, but they did what they do well."

The visiting Patriots had the better of the play in a scoreless first half, sending a number of set pieces to the penalty area, only to see the Bruins' organized defense send the balls back out.

Their best chance came with 3:35 until the break when senior striker Matt Knauss sent a pass through to Rob Scherer, whose shot from 8 yards was aggressively set aside by senior goalie Billy Huffner.

While the Patriots were finally able to break through with Powell's goal midway through the second half, the visitors' defense largely resembled the one Broadneck sent out in its late-season string of shutouts - keeping numbers behind the ball to limit the Bruins' opportunities.

"I couldn't be more proud of this group for some of the obstacles they had to overcome and the work they put in this year - they did a great job," Tettemer said.

Harford Tech 3, Marriotts Ridge 2 -- Stefan Stasak (two goals, one assist) redirected a cross to senior Matt Oates, who scored the game-winning goal for the host Cobras (14-3-1) four minutes into overtime of the Class 1A North regional final. This was the first meeting between the two schools and resulted in Harford Tech's first regional championship in soccer. The Cobras advanced to tomorrow's state semifinal at 7:30 p.m. against Class 1A East champion Pocomoke at Washington College.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.