Crime Watch


November 09, 2006

Freed from jail, man charged in murder try

A Laurel man was stabbed, bound and left naked in a hotel bathtub, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday.

Byron Alexander Hawkins, 25, who had been released from jail several days earlier, was charged with attempted first-degree murder and first-degree assault after officers found Kenneth Nichols Jr., 26, in a blood-stained room Tuesday at the Ramada Inn, 3400 Laurel-Fort Meade Road.

Nichols, who sustained 13 knife wounds to his chest, neck and back, was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was in fair condition last night.

He told police that he met a man at a gas station, where they realized they had friends in common and went to the man's room for a beer.

Court records show that Hawkins was sentenced to serve two years, starting in August 2005, on a burglary conviction.

Purnell Hawkins said he had put his son up in the hotel since his release Friday, concerned about comments he had made about wanting to kill his mother and sister and cutting someone's head off, charging documents show.

About 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Hawkins' father went to check on him and said Bryon Hawkins told him that he had stabbed someone, police said.

Police were called, and they found Nichols naked in a bathtub filled with water. He likely had been there for some time, with his ankles and arms bound with strips of bedsheets, according to court records.

Byron Hawkins was being held without bail at the Jennifer Road Detention Center.

Nia-Malika Henderson

Jessup man fatally stabbed

A 39-year-old Jessup man was fatally stabbed yesterday evenung near an Elkridge motel, Howard County police said.

About 6 p.m., officers investigating a report of an injured man lying on a sidewalk found the victim bleeding from at least one stab wound near the Copper Stallion Motel in the 7600 block of Washington Blvd., police said.

The victim, whose name was not immediately divulged, was pronounced dead a short time later at Howard County General Hospital in Columbia.

Anyone with information was urged to call county police at 410-313-3200

Vandals damage 36 vehicles

About three dozen vehicles were vandalized with a baseball bat and spray paint early yesterday morning in Dundalk, county police said.

About 12:25 a.m. yesterday, a woman heard glass being broken and saw three teenagers, one wielding a baseball bat, damaging vehicles in the 100 block of Patapsco Ave., police said. The woman also saw the teenagers spray orange paint on some of the vehicles and saw them damage tires, police said.

An initial police investigation found 36 vehicles damaged in several blocks, police said. No arrests had been made, and the investigation is continuing, police said.

Nick Shields

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.