Duo lifts McDonogh into final

Agorsor, Bulls subdue Mount St. Joseph, 3-1


November 03, 2006|By Glenn Graham | Glenn Graham,SUN REPORTER

It isn't tough figuring out who the No. 2 McDonogh boys soccer team likes to go to: sophomore forward Chris Agorsor and senior midfielder Andrew Bulls.

Stopping them? That's a different story.

Agorsor scored two goals and Bulls provided the game-winner in between as the host Eagles advanced to the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference championship game with a 3-1 semifinal win over No. 11 Mount St. Joseph yesterday.

McDonogh (15-3-1) takes on No. 1 Archbishop Curley in tomorrow's championship game at 3:30 p.m. at Loyola College. It's the Eagles' eighth title game appearance in nine years. Mount St. Joseph, which shared last year's title with Loyola, ends its season with an 8-9-4 mark.

Agorsor's dynamic play in the penalty area and Bulls' strong presence in the middle made the difference as the Eagles defeated the Gaels for the 12th straight time.

After Mount St. Joseph senior midfielder Tyrone Hall tied the score at 1-1 early in the second half, Bulls, Agorsor and the rest of the Eagles had the final say.

Bulls scored off an indirect kick just outside the penalty box three minutes after the Gaels scored, and Agorsor found time and space inside the penalty area to put away a shot off an assist from Mamadou Kansaye for an insurance goal.

"Our strengths are Andrew and Chris - those two are a great tandem. We've been able to stay compact defensively, do the things we need to do and let those two guys go to work," McDonogh coach Steve Nichols said. "What I was really proud of - as young and inexperienced as we are - was how we responded after they got the penalty kick. It was their first shot on goal, and most young teams would have folded. But they came right after them and got two more."

Agorsor, who opened the scoring late in the first half with a remarkable turn in tight quarters, was equally impressed with how the Gaels' tying goal didn't faze his side.

"When the goal went in I don't think the momentum changed - that was the biggest part," he said.


More boys soccer

No. 1 Archbishop Curley 3, John Carroll 1 -- Senior B.J. Quigley scored two goals, and the Friars (20-3) advanced to the MIAA A Conference final. Quigley scored just two minutes into yesterday's game at Loyola College, on an assist from Ryan Foehrkolb. Quigley scored again with one minute left in the first half, also on an assist from Foehrkolb. The visiting Patriots (10-9-1) scored an own goal midway through the second half. John Carroll spoiled the shutout attempt with three minutes left in the game on a goal by Mike Grattishar. Curley faces McDonogh in the final tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. at Loyola College.

Girls soccer

Towson 2, Catonsville 1 -- In a repeat of last year's regional semifinals, the visiting Generals beat the Comets by the same score they did last season in a Class 3A North game. Maria Wolfe scored on a header off of Nora Trusello's corner kick five minutes into the second half. Fifteen minutes later, Emily Franke scored to put Towson (9-5) in front for good. Holly Ziegler made 24 saves for the Generals in the upset of the Comets, the top seed in 3A North.

Maryvale 3, Park 0 -- Laura Renaud and Emily Noto scored first-half goals for the host Lions, and goalie Sarah Mather picked up her 14th shutout of the season as Maryvale advanced to the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland B Conference finals.

Staff reports contributed to this article.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.