Eastern Tech, Loch Raven draw

Rematch in girls Class 2A region final possible

Eastern Tech boys win county title


October 26, 2006|By Todd Karpovich | Todd Karpovich,Special to The Sun

No. 11 Eastern Tech and Loch Raven attacked each other for 100 minutes in the Baltimore County girls soccer championship game last night at CCBC-Essex, but neither could find the finishing touch in a 0-0 tie.

The teams will share the championship, but could meet again in the Class 2A region final.

Eastern Tech forward Cindi Nickles came close to winning the game near the end of regulation, with a 20-yard strike that just missed the far corner, and in the first overtime, with a shot that was cleared off the line by Loch Raven defender Jamie Fahey.

"We had some good shots, but I guess they weren't good enough," said Nickles, a first-team All-Baltimore-County pick last season. "Their goalie came up with some really big saves. We are going to go all the way again, and hopefully we can win it, and bring home another championship."

It was a fitting ending for two teams that rolled through league play.

After starting the season 0-2-1, Eastern Tech coach Kim Williams, thought her players might have been too overconfident as the defending 2A champions. The slow start, however, was just the wake-up call the team needed; the Mustangs (9-3-2) went undefeated in league play.

"This is not how you want it to end, but you have to take it as it is," Williams said. "It is better than a loss. It was a good game and we both had opportunities."

Loch Raven coach Mike Parker said he likes the way his team matches up with Eastern Tech and hopes the teams can play again. The Raiders (9-3-1) and Mustangs tied 1-1 in a tournament before the regular season.

"There were chances both ways," Parker said. "Both teams played a heck of a game, and I am happy with the result. In this type of game, I'll take a tie any day."


History was on No. 13 Eastern Tech's side last night in the Baltimore County boys soccer championship game at CCBC-Essex.

It was the fourth time since 2001 that the Mustangs advanced to the title game after being divisional champions, and each of the previous times they took home the crown.

Last night was no different as Robbie Boyer's goal from 18 yards out with 32 minutes left in the game gave Eastern Tech a 1-0 win over No. 15 Loch Raven.

"I saw a space and just tried to float it in," Boyer said. "We are really excited. I think we can go far [in states]."

The game was physical, featuring several hard fouls and four yellow cards.

Winning the county championship is not Eastern Tech's goal at the start of the season, coach Peter Glaudemans said. Instead, the Mustangs (10-4-1) try to develop individual skills and team tactics that improve as the season progresses, he said.

If his team is successful in those areas, titles inevitably will follow, he said.

"When you play well, you create more opportunities overall and, in the long run, you have more chances," Glaudemans said.

The Raiders had several chances to tie the score in the second half on long throw-ins by Chris Ward, but they were cleared from the penalty area by Eastern Tech.

Two Raiders hit posts in the second half - Steve Ehatt with 14 minutes remaining and Steve Meninger with eight minutes left.

Loch Raven (10-4) made its first appearance in the county championship in 20 years, and coach Joe Fiedler said it was a difficult loss because the Raiders controlled most of the game and outshot Eastern Tech 18-6.

"I thought we had the better of the play, but we just didn't score," Fiedler said. "The post was the best friend of the other team."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.